The main responsibility of plant nursery workers is to keep the plants looking their best, and to maintain the nursery area so that customers feel that they have come to purchase beautiful and healthy plants for their gardens, in a relaxed and pleasant environment.
Plant nursery workers are initially trained to recognise and distinguish between different plants and their requirements.
Nursery workers are expected to perform duties such as:
- pulling out weeds
- clearing areas for planting
- ploughing or digging beds
- planting of seedlings in prepared beds
- watering seedlings and older plants regularly
- applying weed killer
- applying fertiliser and other soil nutrients
- applying pesticides
Experienced plant nursery workers are also expected to provide information and assist customers in selecting seedlings, plants, weed killers, fertilisers, soil nutrients and pesticides.
- love plants
- good health and physical strength
- willing to work outdoors in all types of weather
- able to remember names of different plants and their requirements
- polite and able to communicate well with customers
How to Enter
Schooling & School Subjects
No specific requirements
What to Study
The plant nursery worker is trained by the employer to meet specific requirements.
Botanical Gardens: Informal workshops on garden maintenance and cultivating of indigenous plants.
- commercial plant nurseries
- botanical gardens
- self-employment, with enough experience, can start growing plants in own back yard and later develop this into a commercial nursery
Any of the above-mentioned potential employers
- try to obtain vacation or part-time work in a plant nursery
- arrange to speak to a plant nursery worker about this type of career
Programmes by Study Institutions