Mail handlers are responsible for the processing and delivery of mail. Mail handlers arrange letters into delivery routes by sorting them into street and house number order. They collect post from post boxes on the way, as they deliver mail using a bicycle, motorcycle or on foot.
Their sorting duties can include:
- processing of mail within the post office and large mail centres
- sorting letters, newspapers, registered items and parcels according to their destinations
- preparing mail for sorting by mail sorting machines (a computer creates bar codes on the mail item)
- tying the mail for any particular route up in bundles and dispatching it in properly sealed mailbags.
Records are kept of all mail dispatched, and a hand-to-hand check of all certified registered or insured items is carried out by the sorting officer.
SA Postal Service
- try to obtain vacation or part-time work at a post office
- make an appointment to speak to a mail handler about this type of work
Coastal KZN TVET College, College of Cape Town , Eastcape Midlands TVET College, Ekurhuleni West TVET College, Lovedale Public TVET College, Tshwane North TVET College, Vuselela TVET College