Life coaches support and encourage people to fulfil their potential and make the most of their lives. Their main aim is to empower their clients to take control of their situation, in areas such as relationships, careers, fitness, work-life balance and self-confidence.
Life coaches work with clients to:
• explore their situation
• discuss their values, attitudes and beliefs
• find ways in which they might achieve their aims
• help them to set appropriate goals
• encourage them to stay motivated and committed
• explore ways of overcoming barriers and setbacks.
They work with a range of clients, from individuals to an entire business or company, offering either a general service, or specialising in a particular area such as executive and business coaching, life changes or spiritual coaching.
Life coaches may sometimes refer clients to an appropriate therapist if they are of the opinion that this would be beneficial.
They usually work to a schedule of sessions lasting between thirty minutes and one hour, as agreed with the client. They are normally office-based, conducting sessions face-to-face, over the phone or online. Some of their time would be spent preparing and reviewing sessions.
Schooling & School Subjects
After qualifying for a degree, a postgraduate degree in coaching can be followed at certain universities. These courses contain life coaching modules which are generally business-orientated.
It is important that as much information as possible is first obtained before choosing a course. As well as costs, the course should offer the following:
• contacts with other coaching and mentoring bodies, or universities
• testimonials from coaches that have attended the course
• good resources for developing skills
• practical training, such as workshops and seminars
• some supervised work with a practising life coach
• advice on setting up a business
• opportunities for continuing professional development.
Various training courses are offered, for example:
Institute for Life Coach Training
CAB Conference Centre
Cnr. Jeanette & Lee Streets
Cape Town, 7560
Tel: (021) 981-9850 Fax: 086 609-8062
Cell: 082 558-6014
CCI Coaching Academy
69 Belmont Ave
High Cape, 8001
Tel: 0861-COACHU (0861-262248), (021) 461-0662
Fax: 086 6174 639, (021) 461-0795
You would usually be self-employed, and would need to develop your business through networking, marketing and reputation.
Visit the Coaching and Mentoring Network website for articles, case studies and other useful resources.