Clerks do general office work that assists professional personnel and management. Clerks work for a variety of businesses, organizations, institutions, government departments, provincial administrations, and local authorities.
There are different categories of clerks who perform a wide range of clerical duties:
- personnel clerks work with all kinds of staff matters giving advice and helping staff solve their problems
- committee clerks render supporting services to management to prepare, integrate, formulate and publish management resolutions with regard to policy and procedure
- financial clerks keep records of financial matters
- registry clerks sort incoming mail, register it and direct it to the officials concerned
Clerks do routine office work such as filing and perform other clerical duties in libraries, embassies, government departments and post offices.
How to Enter
Schooling & School Subjects
- Grade 10 Certificate
- National Senior Certificate for a diploma course
What to Study
Diploma: N.Dip: for example: Public Administration, - NWU, UFH, UNISA.
Experienced senior personnel give training on the job over a period of from four to ten months.
Further study is encouraged and some employers pay tuition fees at universities of technology and private colleges.
- various businesses, organisations and institutions
- government departments
- provincial administrations and local authorities
Any of the above potential employers
- practise typing and other office skills
- become as computer literate as you can
- specialise in a word processing software package if possible
- arrange to speak to different clerks about this type of work
- find vacation work as a clerk, typist or messenge
Programmes by Study Institutions